Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Get Fit To Run!


Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to reach out to a few of my clients that I know enjoy running on some level. I know at times it can be a love-hate kind of sport. The ability to challenge oneself and both physically and mentally is good for personal growth.

However, at times our love for the sport comes with frustrations of injury which may lead to a feeling of frustration. I include myself in this group. I too have experienced the ups and downs of trying to run and run well.

This past weekend I attended a class called "Runity." 

Runity is about getting in shape to run not running to get into shape. Running is a skill and to get the most of it, you need to know how to obtain how to acquire the biomechanics, workload optimization, movement conditioning and neurophysiology to get started and progress your running throughout your life. With pleasure and without injury.

How would a three-day running class make such an impact? I could say what doesn't break you makes you stronger, but that really isn't it. It was eye-opening, it was challenging, it was "telling" as each assessment and exercise revealed a different layer of our movement patterns, weaknesses and limitations both physically and mentally. It is not about finding out what is "wrong" with your running it is about making small changes and making it easier, less painful and surprisingly effortless!


What I learned was, if you are on a treadmill and not at the speed of 7.5 miles per hour in scientific terms you are actually jogging. 

Running faster makes running easier.

Everyone is born to run

We limit ourselves with the images and thought processes during our activities

There is always room for improvement and at the same time still be happy with what you have.

Running is a skill.

It is not about the shoes.

It is not all about the style of foot strike. 

I admit that after 3 days of learning and performing exercises I had no idea even existed moving was not very easy. Since my return a few days ago I have gone for 2 short runs and with no lingering aches or pains, I once had. I admit I still have distance and cardiovascular improvement to hit that 7.5 mph stride consistently but I feel I am up for the challenge. 

I look forward to teaching other runners that struggle with running due to injuries and helping people start running that have never run before. I am here to help them achieve their goals.


If you are interested in experiencing a less painful way to run, contact me at run@healing-in-motion.com

To learn more about Runity click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment